Armenian mobile operator VivaCell-MTS to launch 3G services at end q1 2009

Armenian mobile operator VivaCell-MTS to launch 3G services at end q1 2009

YEREVAN, January 29. /ARKA/. Armenian mobile operator VivaCell-MTS is to start providing 3G (third generation) services at the end of the first quarter 2009, General Director of VivaCell-MTS Ralf Yirikyan told a press conference Thursday.

Preliminary works were carried out in 2008: the network is installed with over 40 base stations in Yerevan and Giumry, Yirikyan said. Preparations are done for installation of stations in Vanadzor.

The company launched the network in test mode at the end of December 2008, when the first test call within 3G network was made. The commercial launch is scheduled for March-April, yet everything will depend on the results of the test operation, Yirikyan said.

“We will start commercial operation of 3G network only when we are 100% sure in its full-fledged operation and when we get first feedback from our subscribers,” Yirikyan said adding that the company has no clear price policy for these services pending the completion of test operation.

He did not rule out offering of 3G services also in other cities and regions of Armenia.

Vice-President of MTS and Director of business units of MTS-associated companies Oleg Rastopov, in his turn, said that profitability of 3G services in Armenia will depend on initial investments that can and should be efficient.

Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. has been selected as supplier of equipment for 3G network in Armenia. Huawei is also to carry out the entire range of the works on building and launching of the network in the country and to provide technical assistance in operation. A 2G/3G combined network is to be built in Armenia using the existing sites as base stations on-the-fly and with no substantial re-configuration of GSM network.

K-Telecom company (VivaCell-MTS brand) was issued a 3G frequency license in October 2007 valid till 2017. The license will allow the company expanding a UMTS network and offering the entire range of high-speed mobile services to subscribers, including wide-band transmission throughout the country.

VivaCell-MTS (K-Telecom) is a major mobile communication operator in Armenia providing a wide range of voice communication and data transmission services. The company operates throughout the country and has the license of GSM 900/1800 standard till 2019.

Mobile Telesystems (MTS), major Russian mobile operator holds 80% of the shares of VivaCell with the remaining 20% owned by Lebanese investment Fattouch Group. Number of VivaCell-MTS’s subscribers had totalled 2.02mln by the end of 2008. N.V. –0—

02:23 30.01.2009





 

« November 2017

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
 
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
 
 


Username:
Password:

Registration
If you are new on the site, please fill out the registration form.

Enter the website you can use your account on any of the following services.

×